There are not many practices commonly seen today that have an origin lost in thousands of years of mankind’s history. Massage is one of the rare arts that has arisen in many diverse cultures, separated by thousands of miles. Why is that that massage has prevailed where so many other practices have not?
Well, it seems that the benefits of massage go far beyond the physical pleasure it provides. Wise people of the ancient world who were more intimately familiar with holistic health and its relationship to the Universe understood this in ways that we can only guess at today.
Beyond the Physical
We have compiled here some of the benefits of massage. It is a list that comprises medically-established advantages as well as some that ancient cultures speak of, but which modern science is unable to ascertain:
- Breathing – This is related to the relaxation of the muscles of the chest. Everyday tension causes them to clench while massage eases them.
- Autoimmune System – The body’s ability to heal itself is boosted by massage for reasons we don’t fully understand. It is suspected to be related to circulation.
- Perception – Massage enhances the perception of touch through the talented stimulation of the skin’s nerve endings. However, some also report better sight, sound, smell and taste perception.
- Concentration – It is suggested that the relaxing and calming effects of massage are responsible for an improved ability to concentrate and focus on tasks.
- Sexual Performance – Both in everyday performance like better ejaculation control and with lesser-understood phenomena like prolonged orgasms in men, massage can do wonders for your sex life.
If just a small fraction of these proven and reported benefits is true, massage is indeed an almost magical healing device. If you suffer from one or more of the problems in the list above, don’t you owe it to yourself to see if massage can help?
Tried something especially naughty? Tell us.