The Japanese are nothing if not innovative. The nation that gave us the instant noodles, Playstation and Nintendo, QR codes, bullet trains and box-shaped watermelons has also made its presence felt in the world of massage with Nuru.
The Origin of Nuru
Japanese law makes penetration during a massage service a punishable offence. To circumvent the law and still provide an erotically-stimulating massage experience, Japanese massage parlors began to offer ‘soapy’ massages.
Needless to say, despite the thrill that slippery, soft, smooth, toned skin gives when bare flesh slides together, too many people thought that stinging eyes did not create a very erotically-conducive vibe. ‘Soapland’ parlors went on the hunt for a substance that could provide the same tactile stimulation but without leaving the taste of soap in your mouth.
The rather surprising answer lay in Nori, a seaweed extract commonly used in sushi. This all-natural product is tasteless, odorless and colorless. It is called nuru.
Using Nuru for Massage
The frictionless characteristic of nuru is perhaps its biggest draw. It comes pre-packaged as a thick, viscous gel and has to be combined with water to get it to the desired consistency.
The explosion in popularity of the nuru massage has been a boon for manufacturers of inflatable mattresses, for it is the platform of choice most often chosen for nuru sessions. Sometimes, nuru is performed on a regular bed after it has been covered with a plastic sheet.
This is the general procedure that is followed:
- Before the massage begins, all participants shower.
- The water is not completely dried off – the dampness assists with nuru gel application.
- Copious amounts of gel are combined with water and slathered all over the masseuse and the person getting the massage.
- The masseuse slides her body over the recipient’s to spread the gel, using her hands, torso and legs.
- Skilled nuru masseuses use each inch of their bodies to apply different levels of pleasure and different sensations to varying parts of the recipient’s body.